Sunday, June 15, 2008

Waterton - Second Attempt

So Vanessa, Kelly, and myself made it to Waterton from Lethbridge yesterday. All 150 km. We made it! This was our first ride with the support vehicle, which I understand is the very one we'll be taking across Canada starting in less than a week.

I woke up to the sound of rain and wind which made me immediately think of my new rain jacket that I had bought just a few days before. We ended up leaving Lethbridge at 7:00 a.m. and after stops in Standoff (~65 km into the trip), Cardston (~95 km in) and a number of shorter breaks along the way, we made it to Waterton at about 6:00 p.m. Over the 11 hours, we had been riding the bikes for 7.5.

I had 3 flat tires, and a fourth tire blew while Kelly and I were pumping it up. So I went through 4 tires yesterday. I can't believe my luck.
However, one highlight of our trip was the food. Thanks to our driver for the weekend, Anne Baxter, we had a fantastic meals at our campsite. We truly were spoiled.

My knee was a concern for me, although I did learn that only two days of rest improved its condition considerably. I didn't start feeling pain until about 80 km into the trip and I really had to play it safe over the remaining 70 km.

I plan on taking 4-5 days off this week for my leg, along with visiting a massage therapist, and a physician. I don't want any trouble on the real trip.

No comments: