Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 9 — Saturday, June 28

Fruitvale to Creston
We got off at a better time this morning (9:30) and stopped at Salmo for a bite to eat at Subway. Kelly and Vanessa climbed the Kootenay Pass Summit where we hit the top elevation for the trip (1774 metres). It is an extremely hot day. Mid-30 degrees Celsius for sure.

After Allan and I went back for Vanessa and Kelly (turned out Vanessa had a flat tire), I told them of a little waterfall we could cool off in. We fixed Vanessa’s tire and within about 20 minutes the three of us were standing in a waterfall by the side of the road. Man, was it cold. I had some serious brain-freeze. I was in my regular clothes, so they were drenched, but it was fun. I converted the bike rack into a clothes line and they were dry within about 15 minutes because of the heat.


We pulled into Creston and I talked to my parents on the phone, which was long overdue. I told them that today was the third day of sitting on the sidelines and that it may be a while till I was back on the bike. No big deal though. As anxious as I am, I won’t rush it like last time.

Top photo was taken at the Kootenay Pass Summit and believe it or not, the elevation was 1774 m (however, I suspect the sign itself was probably at about 1776 m). Bottom photo was taken after Kelly, Vanessa and I jumped in the little waterfall at the side of the road. The waterfall was a couple km before the summit.

No comments: