Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 18 — Monday, July 7

Herbert to Moose Jaw
We had some breakfast at Anne’s and hopped in the van. We made it to Herbert where we dropped off Vanessa and Kelly so they could pick up right where they left off. They had a serious tailwind this morning. If we had stopped biking in Swift Current last night, it would’ve made for a very long day today. Luckily, Vanessa and Kelly were able to eat into today’s ride yesterday.

I’m looking forward to Regina but at the same time, I’m worried things won’t work out. My leg actually started feeling virtually normal a couple days ago, but I promised myself I wouldn’t start until Regina. I’v
e never looked so forward to Regina before in my life.

I thought since I wasn’t biking that I was done with flat tires. So, of course while driving today, Allan and I got a flat tire in the van (top photo). Rear-passenger tire. I showed Allan how to change it and he’s ready to go if it happens again. The most confusing part was how to get the spare tire off, after finally finding out where it was.

We went into Moose Jaw on the donut and checked out four separate tire shops and one finally had one. It took a good two hours of running around to find it. While our tire was getting changed, we went into Bonanza and had a pile of food, which really hit the spot. Anne Baxter, who handled the risk and liability assessment of our trip, will be happy to know that we hold hands across all streets (photo right).

Moose Jaw (and Swift Current) are surprisingly really attractive little cities. Both have a very happening downtown. Kind of sweet. I never thought I'd say it, but I wouldn't mind spending more time here. Vanessa even commented today how she thought Saskatchewan was her favourite part so far.

It's 7:00 p.m. and we’re currently in a café and for some reason my laptop won’t pick up the internet unless I’m close to the window. Since moving to the window by myself, I’ve been surrounded by upwards of 14 middle-aged women who have gathered here for their regular coffee/gossip/man-hating talk. Right now they're discussing how one made two tea-towels within 20 minutes.

Although the internet here is free, it has never came at such a steep price.

I’m scared.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Your blog is awesome and I'm happy to see you're taking safety into consideration while crossing the street. Next time be sure to wear your bike helmets too.