Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 50 — Friday, August 8

Rest Day in Québec City
I woke up and discovered that I was the only person that didn’t have a terrible sleep. I just might have had the sleep of my life. Allan got up at 3 a.m. and Vanessa was up at 6 a.m. or something. She woke me up at about 8 a.m. and it was still raining. It turned out she had been on her computer inside the truck stop for over an hour.

The window that we had cracked open before we went to bed had water pouring in. But luckily it was only landing on my sleeping bag — and no one elses. Good.

I got up and walked straight to the truck stop, and through a puddle that went over my ankles. Good.

We ate some breakfast and then went for downtown, despite the rain. We stopped near Chateau Frontenac, which is one of the series of huge, old motels across Canada built by the same cool cats that built the railway back in the day (Banff Springs would be another hotel). I asked how much it would cost to stay the night at the Chateau Frontenac and rates started at $300. Which, if you do the math, is $300 more than staying in the van.

We walked to the Plains of Abraham and then wandered back to the van. But not before having a “beaver tail” that tasted pretty good but upset my stomach to the maximum. It actually felt like there was a beaver tail thumping the insides of my stomach repeatedly. How authentic!

It was hard to enjoy the sites with the rain pouring down on your head. Once Vanessa bought an umbrella, the rain was replaced with the pokey part of the umbrella stabbing the top of my head, with the occasional umbrella handle hitting me on the side of the head. At least I was nice enough to accidentally return the favour more than once when it was my turn to hold the umbrella.

We opted for a campsite tonight that was nearly $50. But at least it had a pool (closed!) and a whirlpool (closed!) to justify the price. Our sites was one of the smallest ones we’ve seen yet. It was pretty clean though, until our van doors exploded and we made sure it felt like home.

No comments: